Monday 27 July 2015

The Importance of Communication

  I once saw a comic strip that went something like this: There is a man standing on the street corner holding a sign that says “THE END IS NEAR”. Drivers keep racing past him yelling about being a relgious nut, and so forth. Then we “hear” cars crashing in the distance. Later the same man changes his sign so that it reads “BRIDGE OUT”. Suddenly everyone’s reaction changes, and he saves people from potential distaster. It’s probably funnier to see than it is to read here.
   Why do I open with this story? Because we constantly hear about the importance of communication, in business, but also in our day to day lives. But I feel there is more to it than just basic “communitcating”. Anyone can say the words, but can you make it understandable? Are you sure you’re sending the RIGHT message?
  In that story, the message is basically the same, but the content makes all the difference. Haven’t you ever had it that you felt totally misunderstood even though you thought you were being perfectly clear? 
  That’s why I feel that it’s about more than just saying the words, it’s about the two-way communication, being able ask questions, to get clarification, and make sure everyone is on the same page. 
  I never want my clients to feel that they can’t ask a question! Sometimes, in the professional world, we get caught using terms (or “jargon”) that we take for granted, but others may not understand.This can be especially true when we start talking stats. 
  My hope is that when I work with someone, they feel free to stop me and get things straightened out! I may not be saving lives, like the man in the story, but I am helping people with a pretty big decision, and I make it my aim to always keep the lines of communication open. It’s a cliche, but there really is no such thing as a stupid question! If you don’t know, ask!!

   If you, or anyone you know, is considering buying or selling (or both!), and is looking for a professional they can trust, and talk to, please feel free to call me anytime, I’m here to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment